Sunday, April 11, 2010

Theophany

Last weekend, I had a magical experience. Driving up my road after grocery shopping (that's not the magical part) I saw a large bird being harrassed by smaller ones. At first I thought it was a crow, but something in my subconscious noted the shape of its tail. After a double-triple take I began to believe I was looking at a wedge-tailed eagle. This huge bird swooped down in front of my car to eye-level and then disappeared behind my house. When I parked the car and got out to reassure myself that I hadn't been dreaming, I spotted it again and watched it and its mate slowly climb to a great height and drift away on the thermals. I have seen them once before from a distance over the hills, but I've never had such a close encounter with one outside of captivity. The photo isn't good, but are proof at least to me, that my theophany was real!

No comments:

Post a Comment